In October 1947, "UCLA Librarian" was established as a bi-weekly bulletin for the staff of the UCLA Library
. The purpose of the bulletin was stated simply in the first issue:
"The UCLA Library system, embracing the Main Library and Branches and the Clark Library, has reached a size and complexity which calls for some standard and regular medium of informing its more than eighty employees of personnel, policy, and other matters. The mimeographed bulletin is being employed effectively for this purpose by our "big brother" at Berkeley, at Illinois, Northwestern, Washington, and elsewhere. We have studied these pioneer efforts, including the excellent Library of Congress Information Bulletin, and shamelessly appropriated what we regard as some of their best features. Our only original contribution is our title."
"UCLA Librarian" has evolved into an annual progress report and is still published and distributed to UCLA Library donors, Library Associates, and other libraries.